Thursday, June 25, 2009

A blog post to end all blog posts

What an awful blog this is. It's seldom updated and doesn't contain a single link to a new band or DJ that I've tracked down on the Web. Most blogs skewer their target topics with that laconic, often biting commentary that I have only ever been able to appreciate. That is the type of blog that I aspire to write. The ones with the five word sentences that explain the daily news, followed by an aphorism and a link to a new dance tune. I want to have a daily miscellany with a few anecdotes thrown in for good measure (aside: what does that phrase mean, anyway?). And I want to be the type of person that always has a new beat to listen to or a line on the next best thing. I think that's what good blogging is. I think that is the most effective use of the medium.

Or maybe it's just what I think is cool.

And yet, the whole concept of blogging was supposed to be complete freedom of expression, wasn't it? "Good" blogging doesn't really exist since there is no Turabian style guide, no instruction manual. So what am I so worked up about? I should just be writing whatever it is that I feel like writing.

My hesitation, I suppose, is in writing something that will be considered lame, or unimportant, or egoistic or self-indulgent. I don't think so highly of my own opinion that I would review a movie or a book and expect people to read and take my advice. It's the unsolicited nature of such a thing that really bothers me. Then again, I doubt anyone is holding a gun to anyone's head to read this blog.

In short, my apologies if you came expecting the type of blog that I described above. This will never be that type of blog. In fact, I can't promise anything about what this blog will be, despite the fact that I find consistency to make for a more pleasurable read.

I can promise that I will never whine about this topic again. And I resolve to be a daily blogger whenever physically possible.

2 comments:

Pratik said...

"For good measure" refers to the culinary practice of adding a little more than the required amount.

Dave said...

I knew I could count on you Pratik.