Monday, June 8, 2009

Bachelor of Clouds

Actual weather: high of 18 degrees, low of 10. Intermittent clouds.
Resultant emotional weather: Surprised and somewhat depressed. The future of BMus Man looks bleak...

I just found out that Western was streaming convocation online. And to think I could have saved 30 bucks and 3 hours of my life. Nah, I'm kidding. Convocation was really great, primarily due to the rowdy music crowd refusing to listen to directions and not clap for our colleagues and because having Ted Baerg read your name over a loudspeaker is something you just can't top unless you're pals with James Earl Jones. It was nice to know virtually every single person who walked across the stage and feel comfortable talking with anyone you sat beside from your class. Small faculties are where it's at. What a great graduating class. See you in 10 years, some of you! All the best!

Now...all that needs to happen is for someone to look at "Bachelor of Music, Honors Music Education" on a resume and be impressed. I just feel like it needs validation from someone other than my mom (so to speak). If ANYONE knows of anyone that fits that criteria...you know what to do. Namedrop me like I'm Santa at Christmas.

I know it was bugging you, but I did, in fact, spell Honors correctly. See the official comment. Senate passed the spelling 32 in favour, 25 against. An earlier motion facing the prestigious assembly to change the degree titles to Hona, a la Flava Flav, was put forth as an option to avoid the controversy altogether. It was denied by a vote of 55 against, 1 in favour and 1 abstention on religious grounds.

Quick shout out: Summer festival Luminato is currently going on in Toronto, featuring Children's Crusade, an opera by R. Murray Schafer and starring a friend of mine, soprano Danielle Buonaiuto. It's $40. I know. Expense. But I hear good things from Danielle. In any case, check the website to see all kinds of cool art going on in the city.

1 comment:

Osbert Parsley said...

I'm a bit confused about why "honor" needed to have a letter "u" in it at all. The Latin root ("honor/honoris") doesn't have it. It seems to me that we're dealing with a remnant of the Anglo-Norman pronunciation (from continental French "couleur" - /ku.lœʁ/). That the letter "u" disappeared almost immediately in American spelling is, I think, an indication that it was considered etymologically useless back then as well.

(You're welcome.)