Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Doubletalk?

While I'm all for using outside references to describe music (an inherently difficult thing to do), I might draw the line when your description of a band tells your average music lover absolutely nothing.

This is taken from Sergio Elmir's article in Exclaim! on Global Propaganda. I know I don't know anything about reggae or world music, but shouldn't I at least be able to get the picture?

"Caballo's third album is an extension of a uniquely global drum & bass sound that Caballo's been developing over time."

Okay, you think..."global"...cool adjective. I thinkI get it. \frown

"His ragga-heavy, politically charged rhymes travel across borders on the back of dubby bass lines while bouncing along to Balkan beats and cumbia riddims."

... So... ?

"The album ranges from glitch-y Balkan dub to dark dub-step to old school drum & bass flavour."

Now, if I want to know anything about this music, I have to go look up all of these terms, which completely defeats the purpose of reading an article. How about shortening the whole thing to "Do you like political world music you've never heard of? Check this band out!"

I get a very pretentious vibe from this write-up. Unless "Balkan beats" are a sound everyone knows about I just don't...

No comments: